Friday, May 1, 2009

Artist Spotlight - Sterling Simms


It's hard enough being an artist on a normal record label. But, being a male R&B artist on Def Jam must be extremely difficult for the kid Sterling Simms. He's basically fourth in line behind Ne-Yo, The-Dream, and Bobby Valentino. So it's not really your fault if you have no idea who the dude is. But, it is your fault if you don't go and try to get his album after sampling some of his music below! I remember when he first came out with the song "Jumpoff" featuring Sean P. of the Youngbloodz. I wasn't too impressed with the song at first but it grew on me. But, then every time I heard a new song from him, the Philadelphia native was knocking out doubles, triples, and a couple of home runs, for real. I thought for sure when he appeared on Jay-Z's diss record "Dig a Hole" it would only be a matter of time before his album dropped. Wrong! Jay dropped Kingdom Come, which featured "Dig a Hole", on November 20, 2006. But Sterling's album, Yours, Mine, and the Truth, didn't see the light of day until December 23, 2008. Talk about paying dues! I think with the right amount of time and promotion his first album could have been something special, but it seemed rushed. He has mass talent and takes chances. My favorite Sterling joint, "Nasty Girl", sounds like something The-Dream would do. But, it is not rip-off by any means. That song didn't make the album which I still don't understand. Hopefully he will get a second project released to showcase his skills. He does stay on his grind promoting so I think the chances are pretty good.

My Personal Sterling Simms Soundtrack:

Nasty Girl (Remix below)
Stuck in Traffic feat. Cassidy (Below)
Jumpoff feat. Sean P
Stuck on Stupid
All I Need feat. The-Dream/Jadakiss

http://www.myspace.com/sterlingsimms
http://www.defjam.com/site/artist_home.php?artist_id=635


Stuck In Traffic (Feat. Cassidy) - Sterling Simms


Nasty Girl Remix (Produced by Oddz.N.Endz) - Sterling Simms

Sterling Simms Interview from Mikey McFly on Vimeo.

No comments: