Friday, August 7, 2009

OLD SKOOL VIDEO SPOTLITE - The Fugees - "Fu-Gee-La"

"Girl bled to death while she was tongue kissing a razor blade" - Wyclef

Okay so every now and then I go through my extensive compact disc collection and try to find something good to play on the way to work. And a lot of times I look to the mid-90's for inspiration. This past Wednesday I popped in The Score and said "Damn!" Lauryn was so ill on the mic and they were all such great producers, I really wonder what would have happened if they never broke up. The group's first effort, Blunted on Reality, was pretty good but it didn't have too many standout tracks outside of "Nappy Heads" and "Vocab." But, they upped the ante with The Score. It was different, it was fresh, it was extremely innovative, and it changed the game for the group. One of the most popular songs from the album was "Fu-Gee-La" and the subsequent video. Everyone will remember L Boogie's "Oooh Laa Laa La" hook and how all three emcees came through hard on the lyrics. Salaam Remi produced this track for the group and he did a marvelous job. I'm not sure where they shot this video, but it looks so authentic and the caper feel was awesome. I think the video did a great job giving fans a glimpse on what exactly The Fugees were all about. I don't think there will ever be another group quite like The Fugees.

2 comments:

Mark P said...

Ms. Hill is still the dopest! I hope that whatever personal issues she has can get worked out and she feels like she's able to return to music!

T-Smitty said...

Yessir, Mark P! I recently listened to The Miseducation and she was killing tracks.