Sunday, June 21, 2009

Artist Spotlight - Black Kids


Okay so they aren't ALL black, but it's still the name of the group. And because of them Pop music never sounded so good. Black Kids, consisting of brother/sister duo Reggie and Ali Youngblood, Dawn Watley, Kevin Snow, and Owen Holmes, hail from Jacksonville, Florida. They mix Pop, R&B, and Rock to make a very cool sound that you can't help but admire. When I purchased Lykke Li's Youth Novels album they did a remix of "I'm Good, I'm Gone" that I really liked so that kinda peeked my interest. Soooooo, obviously I was late on "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You" which is their most popular song. That song is a good time waiting to happen. I love how the girl chants the chorus at the end. I don't plan on being late to the party when they release their next banger!! And that banger just may be "Look at Me (When I Rock Wichoo)" because it's a great summer song. I'm not completely sold on Reggie's lead vocal ability. I mean, he has a very distinctive voice and you know it's him when you hear his voice, but it may grow tiresome after awhile. But, I think the coolest thing about Black Kids is how ill their videos are. They obviously don't have a big budget, but they know how to make great videos. I call it creativity in abundance. The group is pretty popular in the UK with all of their singles charting pretty high. They haven't had too much success in The States yet, but that should change soon. A telling sign is the critical they've had thus far over here. Their debut album, Partie Traumatic, was very well-received. SPIN Magazine, The New York Post, and NME all gave it a mention on their top album lists of 2008. Look out for more from the Columbia Records backed Black Kids!

My Personal Black Kids Soundtrack:

Look at Me (When I Rock Wichoo)
I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You
I'm Making Eyes at You
Hurricane Jane
Power in the Blood

http://www.blackkidsmusic.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Kids

http://www.myspace.com/blackkidsrock





Black Kids 'Look at me' from Rollo Wenlock on Vimeo.







No comments: