Monday, February 16, 2009

Artist Spotlight - Lykke Li


I first heard of Lykke Li a few months ago when Drake used her single "Little Bit" to showcase his vocal range. Her voice instantly caught my attention and I had to hear more from her. I then discovered her debut album Youth Novels and have been a huge fan ever since. The Swedish singer has lived all over the world including stints in Nepal and New York, where she completed her album. Her music has been described as Pop, Rock, and Electro. I'm not sure if any of those genres actually fit, but maybe that is for the better. Youth Novels has a little bit, pun intended, of everything you can think of. Just listen to the music!! "Dance Dance Dance" is minimalistic and has a polka feel to it. And the way she pronounces dance is kinda addicting. She gets funky on the cut "Let it Fall" which sounds to be hip-hop influenced. I can't tell if she doesn't mind crying or if she really, really enjoys crying. This song is just about crying and crying some more! On a softer note, she does great things with the song "Tonight". Her voice will never be mistaken for Mariah or Mary J., but there is something very sincere in the way she sings. And this hook gets stuck in your head on first listen. You won't be able to get it out either. It just stays there. Luckily for us, her album has charted on the Billboard Heatseekers chart so she is gaining exposure in The States. She is currently finishing up a North American tour so if she happens to be in your city please check her out.

My Personal Lykke Li Soundtrack:

Little Bit (Remix) featuring Drake and Mickey Factz
Tonight
Breaking It Up
Dance Dance Dance
I'm Good, I'm Gone (Video Below)

http://www.lykkeli.com
http://www.myspace.com/lykkeli



Lykke Li - I'm Good, I'm Gone from Lykke Li on Vimeo.

No comments: