Monday, February 2, 2009

The Steelers Reign Supreme!



Too much Big Ben. Too much Santonio Holmes. The Pittsburgh Steelers defeated the Arizona Cardinals 27-23 Sunday night for their 6th, yes 6th, Super Bowl Championship. Personally, I was rooting for the Cardinals, but I'm a Mike Tomlin fan so I wasn't too disappointed. I'm not going to write a game summary, (you can watch Sportscenter for that) instead I'll just make a few quick points. Even though I'm not a Steelers fan I wanted to give Steeler Nation a big shout out. These people travel all over the country to root for their team. And they waive those damn towels 'til their arms hurt. They have THE best fans of any professional sport team. Hands down. I also wanted to show some love to The Rooney Family. They run their organization extremely well and keep the team competitive all the time. Also, Mike Tomlin became the second African-American coach to win a Super Bowl and the youngest coach of any color to win The Big One. Major props to Mr. Tomlin!!

I also wanted to shout-out Kurt Warner, Ken Whisenhunt, and the Man-Child that is Larry Fitzgerald. They were huge underdogs in both the line and in people's minds. They played a sloppy first half and a great second half. Just not great enough. I have a feeling with a team this young, they will be representing the NFC in the Super Bowl again very soon.

Overall, the game was crazy exciting at the end and it rivaled the 4th quarter excitement from last year's game between The New York Giants and MY New England Patriots. This was a big win for the NFL on all fronts. Let's hope the remaining NBA season can keep our attention until September rolls around again. GO STEELERS!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Look out they may very well be in contention again in 2010!!!! Here we go Steelers!!!!