Monday, March 2, 2009

Artist Spotlight - Asher Roth


"If Jason Bourne was to record and join forces with Zack Morris, they'd form my performance."


Yes, he's a rapper. Yes, he's white. Yes, he's from the suburbs. Yes, he kinda sounds like that other white rapper. Okay, now that we got that out the way let's get to know Mr. Roth. Born in Morrisville, Pennsylvania Asher Roth started rapping in high school and has since worked his way to an underground star. I've been listening to Asher for about a year and he has never really blown me away with his lyrical ability. There are a lot of rappers out there who can rap circles around this guy. But, what he lacks in straight lyrics, he makes up for in comedy, style, and enthusiasm. His first mixtape, The GreenHouse Effect Vol. 1, was a collaboration with Don Cannon and DJ Drama from the famed Gangsta Grillz series. There were moments on that mixtape when I found myself thinking "This guy ain't half bad and I wanna hear him spit over some beats designed for his flow." And I give anybody props that can come up with some of the stuff he does. Over the Shawty Lo "Dey Know" beat, he doesn't 'big up his haters', but instead asks "Excuse me waiter.......where are my capers? For real, I don't wanna be a pain in the ass, but I ordered capers on this salad." And he has an entire song dedicated on which female cartoon character he wants to have sex with the most. I'm not making this stuff up! His current single, "I Love College", is one of my favorite songs at the moment . These are the types of songs that Asher shines on. He is currently signed to Steve Rifkind's SRC label and they will be releasing his debut album, Asleep in the Bread Aisle on April 21st. There is definitely a segment of hip-hop fans that Asher Roth will relate to. He will also bring in a lot of new fans to the genre. As long as the label doesn't try to turn him into a pop star, all should be well for the kid.

My Personal Asher Roth Soundtrack:

The Lounge
Roth Boys
CANNON!!!!!
I Love College (video below)
Cartoon Chick

http://www.asherrothmusic.com/
http://www.thedailykush.com/


Asher Roth - I love college from lefebvre simon on Vimeo.

No comments: