Saturday, March 28, 2009

Artist Spotlight - Melanie Fiona


OK, here's the thing. My rule used to be that I had to hear (and like) at least five songs from an artist before I did a spotlight on them. But, I didn't want to wait for Melanie Fiona to drop three more songs when I could just give her a shout out now and hopefully add the new music as it comes in. How ill is she? She opened some shows for Kanye West in Europe without even having an album released. How ill is she? She signed a deal with Roc Nation (headed by Jay-Z) to be her management. How ill is she? Just listen to her version of "Ready For Love" below for a taste. The Toronto, Canada native of Guyanese descent is ready to make a big splash in the R&B world. She enlisted Busta Rhymes and Raekwon for the remix of her single "Give It To Me Right." And anytime an R&B singer has Raekwon on their song, they get props from me. She shows incredible voice control and range on the heartfelt "It Kills Me" which I hope she will shoot a video for soon. A lot of R&B singers come and go without leaving their mark. I hope Melanie Fiona will keep churning out great music because I think she has something different to offer the game. "Give It To Me Right" is currently available on iTunes (Hint Hint).


My Personal Melanie Fiona Soundtrack:


It Kills Me
Give It To Me Right
Give It To Me Right (Remix) feat. Busta Rhymes and Raekwon

http://melaniefiona.com/
http://myspace.com/melaniefiona

BOTH VIDEOS COURTESY OF MELANIEFIONATV:





5 comments:

B. said...

wow Smitty I can't believe how impartial and objective you are! you wouldn't give her a second thought if it was Baby and Cash Money that was backing this young lady.

T-Smitty said...

First of all, Baby and Cash Money would not be affiliated with R&B talent like this. They roll with TQ! And point B, I was bumping BOTH her singles on the iPod weeks before I knew about the Hov and Kanye connection. Third, I would spotlight her if she had those same songs on any label. And D.........ROC 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!

Rodriques Perry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rodriques Perry said...

Ya'll niggas stupid...lol...!!! Talent is talent... No matter what label they on... if you like it then you like it. First niggas fightin over clothes labels now they done put a brand on record labels and niggas gone crazy. Just listen to the music.... tell me this wit out googlin dem shits, what label was " Kid-n- Play signed to?? doesn't matter does it? We all used to have those stupid ass boxes and shyt cuz we liked their music...... GET ATYA BOI...100

T-Smitty said...

........Ain't gonna hurt nobody...........