Sunday, March 15, 2009

Artist Spotlight - Steph Jones


Why do hip hop labels continuously sign R&B acts just to have them sit in 'record label hell'???? I mean if you really think you can do something in the R&B genre go right ahead, but don't waste your money and the artists' time by having them sit. Steph Jones is a former Ford model and talented singer from Texas who was previously signed to Ludacris' Disturbing Tha Peace label. His only major exposure from that label was on the song "Celebrity Chick" featuring Luda, Chingy, and Small World. I really liked that song and thought that Steph would have big things in his future, but it hasn't panned out that way. He hasn't released an album yet, but he has been releasing music. I still have some of his earlier songs in heavy rotation. "Mr. Ordinary" is simple, yet fun, joint about doing regular things throughout your day. This song really emphasizes that Steph is not going to be your average R&B crooner. On the very impressive "La La Means Love" Steph goes all in and delivers a song that would have been a radio favorite. I have no idea why this song wasn't released as a single. The melody of this song is very smooth and the lyrics are great. I especially love the bridge and the "1 time, 2 times c'mon" at the end. Recently, Steph released a new song called "Shooting Star" which is very funky and futuristic. He does the auto-tone thing and even though I'm not a fan of EVERYBODY doing it, it does fit in with the beat of this song. "Shooting Star" is a great song to dance to and I've been playing it heavy for the past two weeks. I'm not sure if you can really compare Steph Jones to any singers before him, but I think that can be a good thing. Maxwell and D'Angelo have been mentioned, but I think his sound is completely different than those two gentleman. There is definitely a place in the game for someone with his talent. I hope he can find a label that will allow him to write and record the songs he wants because it would be a shame if he just fades away.


My Personal Steph Jones Soundtrack:


La La Means Love
Mr. Ordinary
Get Me Started (video below)
Shooting Star
You Are My Sunshine

http://www.myspace.com/stephjones2



No comments: