Saturday, March 28, 2009

OLD SKOOL VIDEO SPOTLITE - Black Moon - "Who Got Da Props"

One of the most overlooked East Coast hip-hop groups of all time has to be Black Moon. I mean I would never have them at the top of the list of my favorite groups, but it just seems like they don't get the recognition they deserve. In 1993 they released "Who Got Da Props" from their debut album Enta Da Stage. I used to love this song back in the day and it embodies everything that East Coast hip hop was in the early 90's. This joint had ill lyrics, a fresh head-bobbing beat, scratches, and a hook that is undeniably sick! Buckshot, 5ft, and Evil Dee showed on this song that they were going to be a force to be reckoned with in the game. This song actually reached #86 on the Billboard Hot 100 which surprised me. Times have changed in the music industry because a song like this wouldn't see the light of day now! The album Enta Da Stage also featured the jams "I Got Cha Opin", "Buck 'Em Down", and "How Many MC's" which all have a place in hip-hop history. After watching this video again I wonder if Buckshot would be considered a "backpacker" by today's audiences? I mean he is wearing a backpack. If Rick Ross threw on a backpack in his new video would that make him a "backpacker" too??? This is food for thought y'all do the dishes.


No comments: