Saturday, January 31, 2009

Artist Spotlight - Aaradhna


New Zealand is not known as a Mecca for soul singers, but I think they may be on to something. Aaradhna can flat out sing. She doesn't have a powerful voice a la Aretha Franklin, but she has just as good of pipes as any female singer on the Billboard 200. More surprising than her voice, may be the beats on her 2006 debut album, I Love You. Released on the now defunct Dawn Raid Entertainment label, I Love You has something for every mood. Shake is a funky dance groove that will get you out your chair. I'm Never has a sultry vibe and Down Time is a catchy song that could fit in on any urban radio station. But, the gem on the album is Secret Lover. I don't know what language she is singing the hook in, but it doesn't matter. The song is hot. In 2008 she released her second album, Sweet Soul Music, on which she does covers of some Motown classics. And she does them well! She may be my favorite female R&B singer at the moment. She has a few new joints on her MySpace page. Written in Your Eyes and Miss Lovely both sound really nice!! TGFiT......Thank God For iTunes!

My Aaradhna Soundtrack:
Secret Lover
I Love You Too
Down Time
I'm Never
I Want You Back (Jackson 5 cover)

No comments: